Recently assaulted: what should I do?
Information and advice on what you may want to do if you have been recently sexually assaulted.
If you have been recently assaulted (last 7 days):
- Go somewhere where you feel safe.
- You may have injuries that need to be treated by your doctor, a hospital, or a Sexual Assault Referral Centre.
- If there is a possibility you may be pregnant you can take the morning after pill up to 72 hours after, or if you have the coil fitted then up to five days after. You can get the morning after pill from a chemist, your doctor, a genito-urinary medicine (GUM) clinic or family planning clinic or from the SARC.
- If you are worried about sexually transmitted infections, you can have fully confidential advice and treatment from your nearest GUM clinic or Sexual Assault Referral Centre.
If you want to report at this point:
If you would like to make a report to the police you can go to the SARC to have forensic evidence collected.
- Do not wash
- Do not brush your teeth
- Do not have a cigarette
- Do not eat or drink
- Do not change your clothes (if you do keep them safe in a paper or plastic bag)
- Try not go to the toilet
- Do not clear up anything from the area of the incident.
Don’t worry if you have already done some of these things. It’s possible that there is still forensic evidence to collect. It is also possible to report without this being collected if you do not feel able to go to the SARC.
The latest from our news and blogs
16 Days of Activism: Listen, younger me
An incredible survivor and creative activist wrote these words to her younger self about the strength of the growing community of victim-survivor activists.
16 days of inspiring activism
SARSAS CEO, Claire Bloor, reflects on the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence.
A year of growth and victim-survivor voice: the SARSAS Impact Report
Last year we supported 747 people through counselling, specialist support and group work and provided 968 hours of support through our helpline services. We launched our new website and brand and delivered training to 3509 people. We are so proud of our amazing team and everything we have achieved together.