Recently Attacked: what should I do?

/Recently Attacked: what should I do?
Recently Attacked: what should I do?2019-01-24T13:09:37+00:00

There is no right or wrong way for you to be feeling right now.  What’s most important is to go somewhere safe if possible and do what feels right for you at this time.  You’re not alone, we’re here to support you if you want to talk, you can call our helpline or use our e-support.

If you have been attacked in the last seven days there is some information you might need:

  • You may have injuries that need to be treated by your doctor, a hospital, or a Sexual Assault Referral Centre.
  • If there is a possibility you may be pregnant you can take the morning after pill up to 72 hours after, or if you have the coil fitted then up to five days after. You can get the morning after pill from a chemist, your doctor, a genito-urinary medicine (GUM) clinic or family planning clinic or from the SARC.
  • If you are worried about sexually transmitted infections, you can have fully confidential advice and treatment from your nearest GUM clinic or Sexual Assault Referral Centre.

If you want to report at this point

There is no right or wrong way for you to respond after experiencing rape or sexual assault. Some people will want to report to the police and other’s will not, both of these are acceptable choices.  If you would like to make a report to the police you can go to the SARC to have forensic evidence collected.  Here are some guidelines for things to do to have the best chance of collecting forensic evidence:

  • Do not wash
  • Do not brush your teeth
  • Do not have a cigarette
  • Do not eat or drink
  • Do not change your clothes (if you do keep them safe in a paper or plastic bag)
  • Try not go to the toilet
  • Do not clear up anything from the area of the incident.

Don’t worry if you have already done some of these things. It’s possible that there is still forensic evidence to collect. You can go and get the evidence collected and the SARC will store this for you for 2 years so you have time to decide whether or not you want to report.  It is also possible to report without this being collected if you do not feel able to go to the SARC.

Our local SARC is called the Bridge and they are based in central Bristol.  They have a 24 hour crisis line 0117 342 6999

Want to talk?

Women and girls

0808 801 0456

Monday & Friday
11.00am – 2.00pm
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 6.00pm – 8:30pm

Men and boys

0808 801 0464

Monday 11.00am – 2.00pm
Tuesday 6.00pm – 8:30pm

Recent Posts
Leave this site now