What is child sexual exploitation?
The sexual exploitation of people under 18. It involves situations and relationships where young people receive ‘something’ (e.g. food, accommodation, drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, affection, gifts, money) in return for sexual activities.
How can I tell if I am being sexually exploited?
Below is a list of some of the features of sexual exploitation:
- Feeling that you must give sex for money, food, drugs, or a place to sleep.
- Having uninvited or unwanted requests to engage in sexual activities in person, on the phone, or over the internet.
- Feeling that someone will hurt you unless you have sex or do sexual things with them.
- Being made to feel guilty for not engaging in sex or a sexual relationship.
- Being made to move away from your home and community for sexual purposes.
- Being made to watch someone else touched themselves sexually in front of you.
- Being made to have sex or do sexual things with your partner’s friends.
Who can help if I am being sexually exploited?
If you think you are being sexually exploited there is support for you:
- you can call 101 to report to the police
- you can call our helpline for support
- you can contact the Banardos BASE team, Bristol’s child sexual exploitation specialist 0117 934 9726 or visit the website www.barnardos.org.uk
Operation Topaz is the Avon and Somerset unit that looks at exploitation.
They have created an online form for passing information to them.
It’s a short form in which you can give any information no matter how big or small, if you suspect a child or vulnerable adult are being exploited.
It’s not a report but will help the police to build a picture of activity and help them figure out what is happening where and they may even try to disrupt the perpetrator (e.g. bust them for something else).
Want to talk?
Women and girls
0808 801 0456
Men and boys
0808 801 0464
Monday 11.00am – 2.00pm
Tuesday 6.00pm – 8:30pm
We are excited to announce that we are the chosen charity of the law […]
Psychology of Victim Blaming Women: New messages […]