We know that with the recent coverage of rape and sexual abuse in the media about low conviction rates and the unfair treatment of Dr Ford in America, it can feel overwhelming.
It can feel like we are going backwards. Here are our top tips for feeling empowered and in control whilst seeing a lot of negative stories:
- take a media break, look at pictures of kittens, watch something silly, take a walk outside. It doesn’t make you a bad feminist if you don’t immerse yourself in every twist and turn of high profile rape and sexual abuse cases
- get involved with online campaigns like the #webelievesurvivors
- myth bust when and where you here it if you feel safe to do so
- let your local MPs know that this is something you care about and ask them what they are doing about low conviction rates and underfunded support services https://www.theyworkforyou.com/
- support your local support services https://www.sarsas.org.uk/fundraise/
- write a letter of support to Dr Christine Blasey Ford https://www.bustle.com/p/how-to-send-letters-to-christine-blasey-ford-to-thank-her-for-coming-forward-12184450
- have a look at some timelines of women’s rights to see how much has been achieved – there’s still work to do but we’ve come a looooong way https://www.mmu.ac.uk/equality-and-diversity/doc/gender-equality-timeline.pdf
- look after yourself!